Me.

My photo
Birmingham, AL, United States
I'm Emily. I love fashion. I love beauty and crazy eyeshadow. I love trying new products. I love all things makeup and clothes!

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

These products are EVERYTHING! Better than a funnel cake at a fair, or even a 50% off sale at Macy's! Okay...maybe not the last one.

I'll be graduating in a few months. Time does fly when you're having "fun," huh? I have to be an adult and find a real job. I would love to be a writer for a fashion or beauty magazine at some point, but for right now, this blog will have to do! I know it's been a crazy long time since I've posted anything, but I've recently found some great Instagrammers and bloggers that have made me re-fall in love with makeup. That said, I thought a "favorites" post would be appropriate! So here we go.

1. Shine Free primer- NYX cosmetics 
I really didn't give this primer a fair chance. I've had it for probably more than a year. I think I was using it wrong! Instead of patting it onto the skin, I would rub it in, which I don't think allowed it to sink into my pores. I find that my makeup lasts so much longer with this underneath. But it's all about how you apply it! 

I had been using whatever foundation I found in my makeup box, which usually turned out to be Loreal's Visible Lift foundation. It held up fairly well on my oily skin and has great coverage. It's for mature skin, and since I'm 22 I didn't really expect it to be as great as it was. However, it would still slide off of my face after a few hours, and touch-ups were mandatory throughout the day. Enter MatchMaster! I went to the mall and stepped up to the Mac counter. I had used Studio Fix before many times and found that it not only didn't cover anything, but it just looked strange on my skin, so I knew I didn't want that. I was more interested in the Pro Longwear, simply because of the name. The woman that helped me suggested MatchMaster after we tried a couple of colors of Pro Longwear and they looked orange on my fair skin. I instantly fell in love. It looked like my face had been airbrushed. Couple that with NYX's Shine Free primer and I look like a movie star for a day. (Ok, ok, not really. But I can dream, right?) 

Lately I have been obsessed- OBSESSED- with purple lipstick. I love the way it looks on my fair skin and it's unusual and unique. I found this color while perusing the NYX display at my local Ulta (a must every time I go) and swatched it on my hand. It is a beautiful pigmented lilac color with a bit of a sheen. It also glides on like butter and has fairly great staying power. But the color payoff is magnificent. I can't get enough! 



I am always on the hunt for products to keep down my shine throughout the day. I have extremely oily skin so anything that promises to "mattify" or is "shine-free" is right up my alley. On the day I bought it, I left my makeup bag at home (what was I thinking...) and I was glistening like Edward Cullen. I got into my car and whipped this thing out, and I was amazed. It wasn't like any powder I had tried where I had to keep applying for it to mattify. I patted the small applicator it comes with into the compact and onto my face and it was instant: the shine was GONE. Although it's probably the most expensive makeup item I've bought in a while at $32, I really think it's entirely worth it for us oily-skinned gals. 

I'm going to be honest. I'm not the most adept at applying eyeshadow and making a difference. Especially when it comes to dark shades in my crease, I always feel like I'm getting ready for a Marilyn Manson concert. They just feel too dark on my light skin and I look goth. But I've gotten a lot braver! Although I'm still not brave enough to shell out $52 for a Naked palette. I don't feel that I'd get any use out of it since I'm not that great at eyeshadow, and plus, $52?!?! 
But I know I like shimmery eyeshadows, and this palette caught my eye and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. 

This is my first experience with anything going under my eyes that is a color not my skin color. It is fantastic. Coupling it with my Mac Mineralize Concealer, it creates a light under my eyes that I've never been able to achieve before. First I apply the Mineralize concealer, then I apply the Radiant Rose on top of it and blend them together. I find that it really doesn't crease, almost none at all. I wasn't planning on purchasing anything like this, but when the Mac artist applied it, I fell in love and could tell a major difference instantly. 

This concealer has some serious coverage. I use it to cover any imperfections I may wake up with (oh, hello new zit). It covers them and blends beautifully into my makeup. Many people have said this is a dupe for the Mac concealer in a jar, but I've never used that. If it is, the Mac must be really great as well! I don't think it would be usable for the under eye area, as it is pretty dry and thick. I could definitely predict a crease-y under eye area. But for redness, pimples, anything really, it's great. I couldn't be happier. 

I would definitely say this is a cheaper version of NYX's eyeshadow pencil in Milk. Jordana cosmetics are carried by Walgreens and they are very affordable. I use this as a sort of primer when I'm using bright eyeshadows, or any eyeshadow really, it just makes them brighter and more pigmented. It does not crease. Not on me, at least. But that could be thanks to the next product on this list...

This primer is awesome. AWESOME. My eyeshadow does not crease, AT ALL. It goes on particularly clear, which I thought was interesting. I had been using Fergie's Wet 'n' Wild Take On The Day primer too, and there wasn't anything wrong with it either, it's a great product. I just wanted to try this one too. I think it makes eyeshadow a little more pigmented than does the TOTD. I find it also helps my liquid eyeliner to stay intact. Great product! 

10. Redken Wool Shake 
Gone but not forgotten...
So unfortunate that this has been discontinued. Ever since I had long hair until now I have used this product. Ulta currently has their remaining bottles on sale for $8.99, but good luck finding them! So far I have found three bottles. 
This product is essentially texture in a bottle. Spray it on and you have instant piecey, just-rolled-out-of-bed hair. It's especially great at giving volume to my pixie haircut. Also, I really enjoy the smell. A lot of people don't like products that have a strong scent, and if you don't then this probably isn't for you. But I don't find that the scent lasts for very long, so it could be alright. I just love this stuff. LOVE LOVE LOVE. I don't know what I'm going to do when I can't find any more. Hopefully these three bottles will last me for a little while! 

That's about it. I have discovered a lot of new products lately, some of which aren't on this list. Agree? Disagree with my picks? Let me know what you think! 

xoxo
Emily 








No comments:

Post a Comment